Applications are now open!
All applicants must have:
- Received a four-year baccalaureate degree;
- Received a master’s degree in library or information science;
- Earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework;
- Must currently be a public or school librarian working with children and teens; or
- A recent MLIS graduate or librarian who would like additional experience working with children and teens
- GRE Scores are NOT required.
How to Apply:
The following must be submitted to the University of Maryland Graduate School:
- University of Maryland Graduate School application (http://gradschool.umd.edu/admissions/application-process/step-step-guide-applying) – Scroll to information under “All other applicants”.
- Unofficial transcripts for all graduate and undergraduate work (official transcripts will be collected after admission).
- Current resume or CV
- A 500-word Statement of Purpose that indicates applicant’s interests, goals, and how he/she will use the skills learned from the certification to assist their library system, branch, or school to work with different types of youth, such as non-dominant youth.
- One letter of recommendation from a supervisor or someone who can speak to the applicant’s capacity for successfully completing the certificate program and how the certificate will contribute to the applicant’s career and library system, branch, or school.
Questions? Visit our FAQ page.
Application and Program Timeline
|Applications open||applications now open|
|Applications close||February 28, 2018|
|Return acceptance||March 31, 2018|
|INST 650||Late May-August, 2018|
|INST 651||Late August – November 2018|
|INST 652||Late November, 2018 – February, 2019|
|INST 794||March-May, 2019|